Sunday, March 29, 2009

Stereotypes

There are many stereotypes that are well know around the world. Many stereotypes are not true and also may hurt people due to the false information. Stereotypes often fall into the categories of discrimination, racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, minorities, etc. I don't think stereotypes are right to people because stereotypes often begin based on another persons mistake. I don't think anyone should be judged on their religion, nationality, color of skin, or sex. An example of a stereotype I have heard that I highly disagree with is that men are stronger or smarter than women. Statics have shown that women are mentally more mature then men, however the conflict with who is stronger I think that all is based on the type of man or woman you chose to compete because I am sure that there are women out in the world that can lift up anything a guy can. Another stereotype I found was untrue was that all blacks are thieves. I think that if any man or women in the world has bad intentions in life will do whatever they need to succeed in what they want to do. Color does not make you want to kill more or steal.

3 comments:

  1. You're right. Stereotypes are not true. It isn't right to classify any one under a group because of their skin color, ethnicity, nationality, etc. Although stereotypes can also have a positive connotation. For example, all asian people are good in math. I still don't believe they are right. I've stereotypes before I won't lie. As much as I disagree with it, I've grown up to it being the norm to say so and so are like this because they look like that. I wonder if this will be a problem for generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stereotypes used to be what everyone based their views on. As long as your living everyone can be stereotyped. Even today people stereotype others but not to the extent as it used to be. I think that stereotypes about races and religions only came about because people did not like what was different. In the old days White males were dominate over everything which is probably where stereotypes on woman and race came about. I feel that the worst kind of stereotype is the one about race and religion. Stereotypes about these things have led to horrible things like racism. I once heard someone say how the Holocaust was started on stereotypes and racism it was just taken very far. That's kind of how allot of genocides on people have started. Stereotypes are probably how others justify their reason to kill a whole group of people. This just shows how far people can take stereotypes. I also don't agree on allot of stereotypes but their are people who surprise you and actually fit into their stereotype. Its probably due to pressure from everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this comment numerous times on your blog. You need to choose topics to blog about that are relevant to Humanities - meaning that there is something you have seen, read, or heard about that prompts this kind of writing from you. You have not done that.

    Grade: 2/4

    ReplyDelete