Monday, March 2, 2009

College or Full-time job?

Teens and kids my age, are mostly concerned with their future. Some kids would rather just skip college and start working at a young age. Others want to go to well known colleges and pursue their dreams. I feel this is the toughest time of our lives because it will most likely effect our future with whatever decision we make. I am having such a hard time picking what career I would like to pursue & actually seeing myself working as for the rest of my life. At times I get a feeling that if i can get a job in whatever fields I would like to be when I grow up, then why go to college. However that would not be the correct way to start my life, if I attend college I will learn more than someone who just starts working right after high school, I would have more experience and knowledge. The only advice I can give anyone is to attend college just so they can learn more & be more prepared for the career of their choice. 

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way but not whether it be college or a job, is more like what do I want to do. It's really hard for me to decide and that's why picking a school best for me has me under so much stress. A lot of teens feel the same way you do why go to school if you got your "dream job?" But what happens if you get fired or your boss loses his business? If you don't have a college degree to fall back on how can you make a living or get another great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what your saying. But I see things a little bit different. If anyone decides to go to college they should study what intrests them. Like for me, when I go to college I want to go into teaching. I dont think right after high school I would get a full time job because I would want to see what else is out there. In other peoples positions they dont know what they want to study or know if this is something I want to have a long career on it. When I was talking to my uncle about this, if i want to straight to college to get a job and then a year later got to school. He strongle suggested to just go right into college because I might get lazy and not want to go back. I do see where your coming from when you said " if you dont have a college degree to fall back on how can you make a living or get another job", I do see that sometimes but I just have to study hard and know I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that you wrote a blog about this issue at this time because many of us are facing the same problem. We can't decide what we want to do after high school; go off to college or get a full time job that pays just as much as someone working with a college degree. My parents stress the importance of education because from their own experiences, with a college degree you have a greater chance of getting a high paying, stable job. If you get fired from an industry, another one will most likely hire you because you have the education and the skills for that job. However, there are people that are better off not going to college because they have acquired certain skills and in that case then they should get a full time job but regardless they're still put in a risky situation. I believe going to college can guarantee you more than just a job but, granted a career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you. This is a confusing time for our generation. Right now I kind of know what I want to study in college but there is still a fog over my head. I heard it all from many different people, that it is okay I will find out in my freshmen year in college or I should have already known this from the get go. I think when I get a chance to study into different courses whether it is a minor or major, everything is going to fall into place. I think we all should go into college after High School, especially in this economic challenge we are going through. You go to college you will get a better paying job from what ever job someone would get without it, in some cases. My major confidence right now is carrying on my my last generation in my family also independence plays a major role in all of our future. Hey technically we are starting right now. For anyone just brush off the nervous feeling and head for the next step. We finished elementary, Junior High and just about finish with High School and we were all nervous at a high level at some point but we got it done. We just have to treat College the same way just using our higher knowledge we have now and the past experiences that made us mature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While it is a topic that many of your peers can relate to, this posting is solely an opinion based on something you were thinking about. You are meant to comment on something you have experienced in terms of humanities.

    ReplyDelete